Softwood lumber sawmill and wood chip operation
- Our Hearst sawmill, with 120 employees, produces softwood (spruce, pine and fir) lumber as well as wood chips.
- The sawmill produces random-size lumber, which has a broad range of applications.
- Learn more about our lumber business.
Hearst is in Northeastern Ontario
- Hearst, with a population of nearly 6,000, serves an area with a population of 10,000.
- Like most towns in the boreal forest region, Hearst is surrounded by lakes and rivers, so the area is very attractive to those who like canoeing, kayaking, boating and fishing.
- Forest products is a major local industry, as is recreational tourism (e.g. hiking, hunting).
- The town is home to Université de Hearst, (affiliated with Laurentian University) and Collège Boréal, both of which serve the Francophone community.
- The area is known for winter sports: cross-country skiing, curling, hockey and snowmobiling.
- Hearst is just over an hour’s drive from the shopping and services of Kapuskasing, a larger city.